The best easy comfort food recipe you can make using ground beef and a tasty sticky sauce on the top is Granny’s Classic Meatloaf.
Just like my mini bacon-wrapped meatloaf recipe, Granny’s Classic version is the ultimate easy-to-make dinner comfort food that the entire family will enjoy.
HOW TO MAKE THIS MEATLOAF RECIPE:
This classic recipe consists of two parts: the meatloaf and the sauce on top.
To make the meatloaf,
- Begin by sauteing some onion and garlic in butter. Adding raw onion to the meatloaf could be too intense. Cooking them first and permitting them to cool before combining with the remaining ingredients lets you get the best onion and garlic flavors without them being too harsh or intense.
- Next, the recipe is super easy to produce because you simply combine most of the ingredients in a dish and shape it right into a mound on a cooking sheet. I use parchment paper for easy cleanup. This is the way my family has been making meatloaf since I was a kid.
While the meatloaf is cooking, mix up the super simple sauce. This easy combination of ketchup, brown sugar and spicy brown mustard is just what the meatloaf needs. I love to incorporate it halfway although cooking time.
HOW LONG TO COOK MEATLOAF:
You can find two considerations when cooking a meatloaf recipe like that one: cook time and temperature. You see, with respect to the size and model of the meatloaf you make, the time will vary.
If you allow it to be in a loaf pan, your cooking time could possibly be longer since the meatloaf is taller and more compact. If you bake it on a cooking sheet as I did so, it will generally be flatter, thus increasing its surface area and cooking faster.
An over-all cooking time range will be anywhere from an hour or so to an hour or so and twenty minutes. The sole sure way to understand whenever your homemade meatloaf is completed cooking is always to verify the interior temperature is 160 degrees F.
Granny’s Classic Meatloaf
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Topping (see note):
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- Preheat oven or grill to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Melt butter in saute pan over medium heat. Cook onions until fragrant and slightly brown while stirring occasionally, about 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and cooked onions and garlic. Use hands to mix well, but try not to over work the meat. Shape into loaf on parchment lined baking sheet. Use sharp knife to cut a criss cross pattern on top.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 40 minutes. While meatloaf is cooking, combine ketchup with mustard and brown sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
- After 40 minutes of cooking, spread ketchup mixture over the top of the meatloaf and continue baking for about 30-35 minutes to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).